For the biscuits
- 125g slightly salted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
For the decoration
- 100g whole blanched almonds
- 100g flaked almonds, toasted
- Giant white buttons
- Plain chocolate chips
- White chocolate, melted
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Cream together the butter, sugar and gradually beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Sift and stir in the flour and mix to a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and kneed gently. Cover or wrap in cling film and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 190* (170* fan). Roll out the dough on lightly floured surface to around 0.5cm thick. Cut into oval shapes with a cookie cutter or by cutting around a template (I used a large wooden spoon to cut around for mine)
- Transfer biscuits onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Put different size biscuits on different trays. Place the whole almonds into the dough to create the beak and eyebrows. Bake for 8 - 14 mins until the edges turn lightly golden in colour. Leave to cool on the baking tray.
- Decorate your owl biscuits with the flaked almonds for chest feathers, the white chocolate buttons and chocolate drops for the eyes. Use the melted white chocolate to stick everything down. Finally dust with icing sugar.
This is our adaptation of a recipe from GoodFood, the original can be found here